Faegre & Benson, the law firm that conducted the investigation, provided answers to the following questions regarding the investigation methodology.
1. Why should we believe this investigation?
Faegre & Benson was provided with unfiltered access to all files, allegations, and personnel files. Faegre & Benson then pursued all allegations where abuse was not admitted and the Crosier was still alive and a member of the Crosier Province. We conducted comprehensive interviews of the alleged perpetrators and victims. The Crosier leadership followed the conclusions reached by Faegre & Benson in all instances, and acted upon these conclusions pursuant to its sexual abuse policy.
2. Does the investigation suggest the Crosiers mishandled allegations in the past? Who knew what when?
Given what was known at the time in the areas of psychology and medicine, as they relate to sexual misconduct, we do not believe prior claims were mishandled.
3. Did the investigation uncover new allegations?
The investigation uncovered new instances of abuse and new victims of abuse, but it did not discover any new perpetrators of sexual abuse of a minor.
4. Who and what decides whether an allegation of sexual misconduct is determined to be fact?
In most instances, after review of the materials and interviewing of the relevant personnel, the conduct was admitted.
5. Were there any allegations made to the Crosiers that were dismissed without being investigated?
Faegre & Benson pursued all allegations where abuse was not admitted and the Crosier was still alive and a member of the Crosier Province.
6. How was the investigation conducted?
See Faegre & Benson Summary
7. How far back did the investigation go?
The review looked back over the careers of all present Crosiers who had been accused of sexual misconduct. In many instances the investigation extended beyond 50 years.
8. When did the Crosiers begin recording allegations?
As is the case with most religious organizations handling claims of sexual abuse and misconduct, reporting of abuse has become more formal with time.
9. Could the investigation have been more thorough?
Every lead inside and outside the Order was pursued.